Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"There was once communism here" - Direct Quote


It's definitely apparent that Praha was under communist rule for a long time. Yet it's amazing to me just how much of the culture and architecture survived. Yesterday afternoon I went on a tour called Mysteries of Prague's Old Town where we our guide explained the origins of many of the buildings right where our classes are. We also saw right where Kafka lived and grew up. Kafka actually lived in three different houses throughout his life all which are in close proximity to each other right in the center of the city and make a triangle [I thought this explained a lot]. And then today I went on a tour that took us around all of Jewish Prague. The cemetery is absolutely incredible to see and this picture does not do it justice. I'm happy that I am going on all of the tours that NYU is offering us during orientation week because it will be nice to get all of the 'touristy' stuff out of the way so then I can just go explore on my own.

I think we are finally starting to settle in more. We have already found some restaurants and bars that we have been to multiple times. For starters. the past two nights have ended at Peach Pit, a bar resembling that of the bar in 90210. Also, for the past two days we have gone to Bohemian Bagel for lunch. Delicious food, yet very American food. They have HUMMUS though and that is all I need.

One of the most famous examples of the Gothic architecture in Praha is the astronomical clock. Every hour a huge crowd gathers around to watch the mechanical show which is full of the movement of allegorical figures and astronomical movement. It's a cool thing to be able to see, but it's funny what a big deal they make of it (especially since it happens 24 times a day).

na schledanou

No comments: