Thursday, January 31, 2008

in libris, veritas; in kava, vita

[in books, truth; in coffee, life]- "The Globe"

Well tonight marks the eve of our first overnight adventure outside of Praha. We are all pretty tired and horrible at packing which makes for an interesting combination. Good thing its only for a weekend.

I thought I would do a quick little update before Berlin:

Last night I just couldn't 'mecca it'. Mecca is a club that we have been going to every Wednesday night. It's fun, but it is quite the intense scene. I made about half way up Machova and then realized that my body couldn't actually physically make it there. So instead, Moose, Ash, and I enjoyed a hilarious evening of Arrested Development and a cozy bed. Since staying in is such a rarity here, I've come to appreciate the feeling even more.

So much so that this morning was not as brutal as anticipated since I had to wake up early to finish my roll of film for photography. In an effort to complete something on my list of things to do in Prague before I leave, I decided to go to the sex machine museum and take my last few photos. Johanna was supposed to come with me but at 8:30 this morning, it turned out I was in this alone. Super sketchy... and weird... especially because I was the only person in the entire museum.

For my class 'Kafka and his Contexts', we had to read 'The Judgement' which I have never read before. But we still have yet to remotely discuss it. I wrote about how last class we went to visit Kafka's birth place, well today we did a walk around Old Town Square and saw the different apartments that Kafka lived in and the schools he attended. Seems to me like Kafka's Contexts are taking priority over Kafka himself. I'm not complaining. It's also weird because one of the buildings my professor took us to today was the same building where the notary is located and I had just been there earlier this morning to get something notarized for my (still non existant) visa.

I have been researching various bookstores/cafes here in Praha and after photo today, Johanna and I decided to wander over to The Globe which is conveniently located near one of the metro stops. It was just what we both needed -- a very relaxing atmosphere with delicious food and great books to peruse. I definitely want to go back -- hopefully we can make it one of those "usual" places.

Well, as the washing machine perpetually spins since it won't open for me, I must go forcefully attempt to pull my clothes out. (Laundry is very difficult here in Prague, just so you know). And then I shall get some sleep only to wake up at 4:15 am to train it to Berlin!

Na schledanou for now! I will update again after the weekend.

2 comments:

Nancy Jeanne said...

sex machine museum? pictures? I'm intrigued.

roryetc said...

yeah, really. didn't mention sex machines in your postcard! (which i loved and is hanging next to my mirror so i can look at it every morning when i wake up, by the way.)