Monday, January 14, 2008

Dobry den.



Ahoj!

Today was the first day of "Survival Czech" lessons. All I can really say right now is that Czech is a ridiculous language. There are basically no vowel sounds and is just impossible to sound out. Anyways, my teacher for the next week is great. She is so friendly and one of the nicest Czech people I've met so far. Thus far, I have observed that most Czechs are either miserable people... OR, they just hate Americans. [Unfortunately, I think its mostly the latter]. It's really frustrating just how much we stand out as Americans mainly because we have smiles on our faces.
Although most of us from Hamilton had wanted to go away independently and we're a little unsure of how the situation would pan out with over 15 of us on the same program, I have to say that I am so happy everyone is here. Aside from just the comfort of seeing familiar faces, I have been able to hang out and even meet people from Hamilton that I never met before. I'm loving this whole Hamilton solidarity thing.

So another weird observation: despite the fact that we are in a city, dogs do not have to be on leashes! I am so glad I overcame my fear of dogs because this coule have been a bit of a 'situation'. It's incredible how obedient all of the dogs are. They never come up to you and the I've even seen some owners direct their dogs with hand motions.

In terms of going out...it's been non-stop [semi-intentional/bad pun: instead of open 24 hr signs, stores have huge signs that say non-stop]. The first night when we had absoltely no idea where we were going of course we accidentally walked into a strip club. Hilarious.

Then last night everyone was feeling a little nostaglic for some US of A football so we searched out an Australian sports bar called Fat Boy's and went there to watch the game. Of course the Americanized bar is called Fat Boys, how appropriate.

Funny story: EVERYTHING IS IN CZECH, literally. Grocery shopping is actually nearly impossible. First, we've already tried to buy milk and failed miserable. Instead, we bought something very sour and rather lumpy ... perhaps, buttermilk?? Then, since we aren't on a meal plan, eating habits are very scattered especially because we don't really know what to buy yet. So on our way home from the center of the town we stopped at the market and I saw some canned green beans that looked like edamame. Edamame would have been such a treat, however, after opening the can when we got back, canned peas were all that existed. Turned out to be not too shabby though after heating them up a bit.

Lastly, this is a picture of my room and kitchen...... I really need to start taking more pictures

1 comment:

roryetc said...

your whole description sort of reminds me about the part of eurotrip where they end up accidentally in eastern europe... hopefully, not as drab as all that.

MISS YOU!!!!!