Tuesday, January 22, 2008

100% praha

Johanna and I went back to our favorite vintage store today before classes. We just had to purchace the 100% authentic journals made by a Czech art student out of 100% recycled Czech materials. So I guess that makes them our journals both literally from and about prague. It's kinda neat. The owner, and our new friend, Ava, advised us to go to Berlin to find more vintage shops and alternative bars. I think we might try and plan a trip to Berlin now in like 2 weeks. Wonderful.

While my new purchase was definitely one of my highs of the day, today was also my first day of classes. I didn't start class until 1:30 but I had it straight until 5:50. It's weird ending class when it is dark out because at Hamilton I am used to being done with my classes before 3.......

Anyways, I only had 3 out of 4 of my classes (Czech, Kafka and his Contexts, and Photography). I loved all three of them. The classes are small, discussion based, and above all seem like they will be really interesting. My professors also seem great and very understanding of the fact that we are in Central Europe, a place very conducive for traveling to other parts of Europe. Thus, while attendence matters, it seems like it isn't a problem to miss class for traveling. In my Kafka and his Contexts class, my professor told us that the aim of the class is to understand our own life through the perspective of Kafka. Sounds right up my alley...

It also felt good to just sit in a class again and think. I feel like my brain hasn't been turned "on" in a while especially since I haven't been able to successfully complete basic things-- like, I don't know, go grocery shopping?... or find the locker room at the gym?...it sometimes gets disconcerting, so its nice to be realize that you can actually think.

While Johanna and I were sitting and enjoying our lovely lunch at a French cafe (in Prague???) we were pondering our observations and experiences so far. I am beginning to gain a better understanding as to why Czechs are the way they are towards Americans. It's interesting because it usually is the older people that seem to be stand-offish, while the younger generation is very pleasant. Every professor I had today kept apologizing for the way their fellow citizens act. They kept emphasizing that it has nothing to do us, as American students. It was as if they were parents explainng to us that their divorce was not the fault of their children. I feel like every time I meet a friendly Czech person it is just so refreshing.

Okay, well now we are getting ready to go to a bar called Nebe- apparently they have huge mojitos for an entire table with just a lot of straws. Should be interesting... especially since I don't have class until noon...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

go to Berlin next week! i'll be there until Feb. 3!!!

Julia said...

you two are just so cute, with your matching recycled journals!
I love having these blogs to read. Love you/miss you.

-Dales