Thursday, February 7, 2008

jak se mas?

Usually if I skip a class, I do feel some sense of guilt. But yesterday, being that it was the real "ASH" Wednesday, I just had to skip Civil Resistance. It would have been one thing if I just sat in bed all day, but Ash, Moose, Danielle and I went exploring and found the Eiffel Tower of Prague, better known as the Lookout Tower on Petrin Hill. To get to the tower, you have to walk up a ridiculous amount of steps. But the stairs wind through the woods and as you walk up you just have the most incredible view of the entire city. I can't wait to take my parents there. It was so nice to be surrounded by so many trees, yet also have the view of the city. We were also so lucky because it was the most spectacular weather- the sun was finally shining and it felt like a warm pre-spring day.

Last night, despite everyone's lack of desire to actually go to Mecca, of course we ended up there. But for real, that's it. I'm not going back. First of all, I'm sick of it. Second of all, it's not fun. Third of all, there are so many other places that I want to go to that I need to stop wasting my Wednesday nights at Mecca. Sorry about that rant, but it needs to be written in stone so then maybe I won't actually go.

Four classes on Thursdays have been tough, but I'm definitely getting used to it and its worth it since I dont have class on Mondays. This morning in Civil Resistance we watched the Oscar winning film, Doctor Zhivago which is about a Russian doctor who falls in love with a poilitical activist's wife during the Bolshevik Revolution. We only got to watch half of it but it was really good. We have been reading books and watching films that show very politically active people during the revolution. But this film was interesting because the Doctor did not have any strong political views. So you can really see how for people who don't want to be involved, they are really trapped amidst the violence of war.

No comments: